BOC: Fireworks over Central NY

Torgo torgo at NORWICH.NET
Sun Aug 17 22:47:56 EDT 1997

Hey Gang:

Caught BOC today at the Fireworks over Central New York festival. It felt
good to finally catch the recent incarnation of the band live, as the last
time I saw them was right after Club Ninja came out. The band played 6th
out of 8 bands, right in between Government Mule and Matchbox 20, before a
hammered crowd of local ninnies soaking up the sunshine on this Sunday
afternoon.

The setlist was:

Stairway to the stars
ETI
Buck's Boogie
Dominance and Submission
Cities on Flame
Last days of May
Burnin' for You
Godzilla
Don't fear the Reaper

The band opened up with STAIRWAY TO THE STARS, and the first thing I
noticed was how Eric Bloom's voice really didn't have much spunk. His voice
seemed very high and strained, and not the deep, menacing growl I remember
from live BOC albums and the last time I saw them live 10 years ago.
Overall band sound was good, although they were not nearly as ear splitting
as Government Mule before them.

By the time the band got around to Dominance and Submission, Eric's voice
seemed to have improved, and he summoned up some of that power and passion
in his voice that I always remembered. It seemed as if he saved himself up
on Stairway and ETI, took a break on Buck's Boogie, and then let loose what
he had left on the two "Albert songs" that were paired with each other,
knowing that Buck would be taking over Vocals for the bulk of what remained
ahead. Although many debates remain unsettled over whether Bloom can pull
of the Albert songs of not, the band ripped the heaviest through these 2
songs, and for me it was the highlight of the show. Lets just say D&S and
Cities are good enough tunes that they smoke no matter who plays them.

I was clever enough to be on the Allen side of the stage, my fave place to
be. Allen for me has always been the unsung hero of the band, as I can't
imagine BOC ever nailing down that overall eerieness they have in their
sound without the man. He smoked, he jammed, he pounded keys, and all in
all just did the Allen thing that he does so well. Never says a word, but
for me the man is the biggest presence on a BOC stage. Buck is Buck and he
threw out some amazing leads, but gimme Allen anyday.

Then came "the big three" and the crowd started picking up on who the band
was. It was funny during Burnin' to see throngs of 13 year olds with
everything from their eyelids to the colons pierced, turn to each other and
say "Oh, like wow, I know this song". Which brings us back to the debate on
whether the big 3 are as BIG as they are, or a low point in the show for
those of us who have heard them 1,000 times. The crowd didn't really
respond until the big 3, and they seemed to sort of expect them. Godzilla
IMHO is still great on stage, it thunders, it booms, and its a perfect
place for Bass and Drum solos.

Danny had a bass solo which rumbled in your belly a bit, which led into
Bobby's drum solo. I remember Bobby from his Rainbow days, and he still has
all the panache on the drums he always did. Bobby also looked like time and
twinkies have been good to him. He's a hulking menace of hair and belly
behind the skins, and of course I mean that in a good way. I like the way
he looks back there. :^)

So all in all it was a good set. I didn't get to hear really anything
different from the last set I saw them do 10 years ago, but anytime I get
to see BOC live I will take it, if you know what I mean. Would have liked
to hear one of the newer tunes people on the list have talked about, but
alas, it wasn't to be today. Eric never said a word about an upcoming
album, and I certainly didn't ask.

And there you have it.

Torgo has left the building......
torgo at norwich.net
"All the same we take our chances,
 laughed at by time, tricked by circumstances.
 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose,
 The more that things change, the more they stay the same..."