ADMIN: Listserv catastrophic disk failure

Ben Cohen ben at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Sat Aug 30 11:23:11 EDT 1997

As some of you were wondering, there has been a problem with the list and
the archives. I received the following mail from the Operations Manager for
St. Peter's College (who hosts the list) at 6:00 PM EDT:

Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr writes:
>  listserv.spc.edu's system disk crashed, probably as a result of being hit
>by a 20' piece of copper pipe while plumbers were fooling around with the
>heating system in the machine room.
>
>  The disk has been replaced and is in the process of being restored from
>backups. When the system comes back up, LISTSERV's state will be as of 4:00
>AM on Sunday, August 24th. This has a number of implications:
>
>1) your subscribers may receive duplicate mailings of prior postings
>2) for moderated lists, any approval-required postings that you've already
>   approved may show as unapproved (no need to re-approve them as they've
>   already been sent)
>3) archives between 04:00 08/24/97 and 18:30 08/29/97 have been lost (but
>   see below)
>4) subscription adds/changes/deletions made between the above date/times
>   have reverted to their state as of the backup time.
>5) anything I didn't think of above 8-)
>
>  If you have archived copies of list postings distributed between the above
>times, send 'em to me (digest format is best if you have 'em) and I'll see
>that they're reinserted into the archives.

Rather than have any/everyone sending mass archives to either myself or
Terry, I'll ask that anyone who (for whatever reason) has saved the list
mail from the past week _EMAIL_ me saying what you have and what format it
is, so I can select the easiest way to rebuild the archives (if, indeed,
it's possible at all).

   YnSSHM,
   Ben