OFF: Pentagramaspinn - notGong notParagong notround notlager

Kenneth Magnusson bishop.garden at FALKOPING.MAIL.TELIA.COM
Mon Dec 1 05:09:43 EST 1997

I just think that all of You out there who are Gong-freaks should get
Paragong Live '73, it's such a wonderful bit of freak-music, but to shed
some light on this affair I will quote the text from the booklet, O.K.
(Yes, I should have done this from the start but I'd forgot about their
existence, sorry).

"It was March 1973, Daevid Allen and Gilli Smyth, exhausted by the hectic
1972 touring schedule, the recording of 'Flying Teapot', and occupied by
their baby Tally, left Gong - the group they had founded in 1969 - and
returned to Deya, Majorca. By this time 'Flying Teapot' drummer* and
bassist Laurie Allen and Francis Moze had also decided that they had had
enough, and had departed. Tim Blake, Steve Hillage, Didier Malherbe, Venux
de Lux and the extended Gong family/tribe decided to continue. Paragong was
born."

[here follows a bit on how Mike Howlett and Pierre Moerlen joined the band,
and then, something off interest for the discussion, I'll continue]

"Paragong existed for only two short month, March and April '73**, and only
ever played gigs in France. Up until now there has been no release to
document the band's crucial role in the development of Gong. Paragong was
in fact the vehicle in which the major players of the best-known Gong
line-up first came together, and where to large measure the musical of the
'classic' Gong sound first manifested."

*Is drummer the English word for drummel, I wonder ?
** What's so short about them ?

Now, just get it, it should still be available, try Voiceprint.

Kenneth

Bishop Garden Records
Box 747
521 22 Falkoping
SWEDEN
Tel +46 (0)515 823 08
bishop.garden at falkoping.mail.telia.com

The Moor
http://www3.tripnet.se/~hmm/moor/

The Moor Tour Info
http://www.thing.de/projekte/future/themoor.htm

This message was transmitted from a MicroSoft-free device.