OFF: the truth is out there

Bolts of Ungodly Vision scruto19 at POTSDAM.EDU
Mon Dec 1 18:25:35 EST 1997

>> around at the world, I am very frightened by what I see. The increase of
>> violence, strong language getting worse... this is slowly working its way
>> into everything, including video clips. Look at stuff by Marylin Manson,
>> NIN, etc... regardless of how good the music and/or lyrics are, the
>> videos are just gross and disgusting. Do we really need stuff like that
>>? Do >>you find it "civilized" ? "educated" ? Someone on the list
>>mentioned that
>> bands like Marilyn Manson just used this as an image, wanting to make
>> "music-you-don't-want-your-kids-to-listen"... right. But what's the point
>> ?
>Part of rock'n'roll's *purpose* is to shock and disgust the older
>generation.  Blue Oyster Cult were considered shocking and degenerate by
>many old farts in the '70s.
>
>So you're shocked and disgusted by Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson.  You
>must be over thirty.

I think it's interesting to point out the negligible amount of swear words
present in the metal music of BOC's era compared to today's.  The sheer
oddness of the themes BOC and its peers addressed is being substituted with
more fleeting shock value I think these days...or is it just that cussing
is more part of our culture?

Showing too much knee, (that's how you get kicked off of Lawrence Welk's show)

Jason