OFF: Anglo Saxon attitudes

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Dec 2 06:09:53 EST 1997

Carl E. Anderson writes:

> On tis 2 dec 1997 00.53 +0000 "J Strobridge" <eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
> wrote:
> > Apart from that Chaucer had a few profanities to offer in his
> > Canterbury Tales stories and I'm sure I remember Beowulf being a
> > tad rude to both the dragon, and Grendal not to mention Grendal's
> > Mum - poor lady.
>
>      All depends on whether one considers involuntary death and
> dismemberment impolite or not :)  At least 'Wulf didn't use any
> obscenities (alliterative or not!)  :) :) :)

I know I speak to an expert here and I definitely respect that(!) but
do we actually know what an Anglo Saxon obscenity was?   After all
words like "greedy" "proud" and "kin-slayer" may not mean much to us
today but back then the use or even the suggestion alone might have
been enough to get you killed on the spot!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk