OFF: the truth is out there

Tue Dec 2 07:05:24 EST 1997

> From:          "Carl E. Anderson" <cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK>

> On tis 2 dec 1997 00.53 +0000 "J Strobridge" <eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
> wrote:
> > Apart from that Chaucer had a few profanities to offer in his
> > Canterbury Tales stories and I'm sure I remember Beowulf being a
> > tad rude to both the dragon, and Grendal not to mention Grendal's
> > Mum - poor lady.
>
>      All depends on whether one considers involuntary death and
> dismemberment impolite or not :)  At least 'Wulf didn't use any
> obscenities (alliterative or not!)  :) :) :)
>
> wassail,
> Carl

While Chaucer didn't use so many out-and-out obscenities, he did
devote a considerable segment of the Canterbury tales to rather
earthy material.  The Miller's tale[I think?] is about farting in a
squeamish guy's face.  The Wife of Bath discusses the relative
bedroom performance of several of her lovers, another one is about
seducing some old fart's young wife.  I can't believe it wasn't
banned in Boston!

theo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"...it's legal, but it ain't a hundred percent legal..."
v.vega