OFF: the truth is out there

Tue Dec 2 08:28:59 EST 1997

>Part of rock'n'roll's *purpose* is to shock and disgust the older
generation.

Well, some may believe that, but that never was it for me.  Rock and roll
is/was/will_always_be about music, and I always saw it as geared toward
what the "younger generation" (no longer being a card-carrying member
myself, unfortunately) could identify with.  Sure, there's an aspect of
"rebellion" in that - kids and their parents will probably to some extent
always have trouble relating to eachother on some level (that good old
generation gap), but "shock" and "disgust"??  I dunno.  I mean, hey, I
grew up on a heavy diet of KISS, but it was never about trying to disgust
my parents (yeah, my mom wasn't exactly thrilled with Gene Simmons'
blood-puking routine) - I mean it was a circus to me, and despite the
images, I spent hours holed up in my room *listening* to the albums, so
the connection was still more musical than visual.  But, I didn't do it
to either shock or disgust, or even rebel for that matter, against anyone.

But, I certainly agree that there's a rebel aspect to rock - and if you've
got to go one level lower than your parents did, well, then the fact that
bands like Marilyn Manson exist don't surprise me.  Quite frankly, I have
little to say about MM since I've basically ignored them so I can't speak
to their talent (or lack thereof).  I don't particularly like the anti-
Christian message/image from the little I see of them, but I suppose if
do my job as a parent I shouldn't have to worry (I hope) about a world
where such messages seem to becoming more and more prevalent.  And you
can bet my daughters will at least hear lots of BOC (whether they like it
or not - LOL).

John