OFF: Truth (oh no) and Shock Rock

Tue Dec 2 08:27:18 EST 1997

> From:          "BREVARD, Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>

> Manson, GWAR and the like are simply following the trend of appealing to
> the lowest common denominator.  The real shame of it all is that our
> children our overloaded with this mega bombardment of negative images.
> Each and every parent needs to be on guard against this assulat on our
> children.  My kids don't listen to Manson or Gwar becuase THEY have no
> desire to.  They saw footage of GWAR and thought they were clowns.  Well
> grounded kids and I'm proud of them.  If you have concerns about the
> impact of this stuff on your kids talk to them about it, keep the lines
> of communication open with them.

You just said a mouthful there, AB.  Look at the kids who dig MM, and
look at their homelife.  It won't be any surprise why those kids are
into shock music.  Kids whose parents take a REAL interest in them
[and I ain't talking about throwing money at the problem] won't be
drawn to it,  and they will be able to see it for what it is IF their
parents are truly involved in their lives and are being good role
models.  I'm convinced a lot of kids are attracted to MM et al out of
loneliness.  They are craving their parents' attention, and hope that
the shock music will stir their parents to acting like parents.
There are fewer stable home relationships these days:  parents
working two jobs, overworked single parents etc.  It's hard to BE a
parent these days--precisely the reason selfish old me isn't a
parent.  If you don't take responsibility for being a parent,
somebody like MM will gladly fill the role for ya...

theo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"...it's legal, but it ain't a hundred percent legal..."
v.vega