OFF: Truth (oh no) and Shock Rock

Alex S. Garcia asg at LAGUNA.COM.MX
Tue Dec 2 06:29:11 EST 1997

>> Manson, GWAR and the like are simply following the trend of appealing to
>> the lowest common denominator.  The real shame of it all is that our
>> children our overloaded with this mega bombardment of negative images..
>> Each and every parent needs to be on guard against this assulat on our
>> children.  My kids don't listen to Manson or Gwar becuase THEY have no
>> desire to.  They saw footage of GWAR and thought they were clowns.  Well
>> grounded kids and I'm proud of them.  If you have concerns about the
>> impact of this stuff on your kids talk to them about it, keep the lines
>> of communication open with them..
>
>You just said a mouthful there, AB.  Look at the kids who dig MM, and
>look at their homelife.  It won't be any surprise why those kids are
>into shock music.  Kids whose parents take a REAL interest in them
>[and I ain't talking about throwing money at the problem] won't be
>drawn to it,  and they will be able to see it for what it is IF their
>parents are truly involved in their lives and are being good role
>models.  I'm convinced a lot of kids are attracted to MM et al out of
>loneliness.  They are craving their parents' attention, and hope that
>the shock music will stir their parents to acting like parents..
>There are fewer stable home relationships these days:  parents
>working two jobs, overworked single parents etc.  It's hard to BE a
>parent these days--precisely the reason selfish old me isn't a
>parent.  If you don't take responsibility for being a parent,
>somebody like MM will gladly fill the role for ya....

Wow. Very deep stuff here. And I think this very well describes the problem.
The thing is, a lot of damage has already been done - and whereas it is our
job as parents (well, I'm not one yet, but my time'll come ;-) to be careful
about such things, it is those kids who listen to such music that concern
me. Sure, we now know why they do that (at least, there's a very strong
chance that's the reason), but what worries me is that when they grow up and
become parents, they might end up acting the same way with their kids. You
know, that thing about people not learning from their mistakes (or, in this
case, from the mistakes of their parents). Bottom line, things could get
worse from one generation to another... I mean, hey, if kids today like MM,
what will kids of tomorrow like ? *shiver*

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
Read the Icarus Encyclopedia of Fantasy & SF
  http://www.pelnet.com/icarus/