OFF: the truth is out there

Alex S. Garcia asg at LAGUNA.COM.MX
Tue Dec 2 06:28:55 EST 1997

>We have to remember that even the most 'enlightened' people of the
>so-called dark ages believed in God, Satan, etc., things that to me,
>at least, smack of superstition and black magic.  The enlightened
>people of that age were educated in 'religious' schools, so
>naturally, their training was somewhat slanted toward believing in
>christianity.

Good points ;-)

>Remember that a high degree of education does not
>necesarily produce logical thought.  Look no further than
>Harvard-educated Pat Buchanan.  You'd think that somewhere, this
>rabidly catholic and ivy educated man would have somehow learned
>of the futility and social destructiveness of racism and religious
>extremism.  But it didn't happen that way....

I agree on this. Even if I'm not familiar with Pat Buchanan :-o But I know
there are many people like that...

>> out that most Christians are usually very altruistic people, who are always
>> ready to help others, honest, respectful of laws, etc... OTOH, when I look
>
>Again, Pat Buchanan thinks he's holier than the Pope.  Remember that
>the so-called Western Hemisphere was 'discovered' by Christians, who
>saw the aboriginals as pagans, whose beliefs were infidel, and used
>this as an excuse to take their land and slaughter and enslave them
>and destroy their culture.

Well yeah, and you could also mention the Crusades. But as I've said before,
I don't think you can compare modern Christians to Christians of those older
days. Science has evolved, Christians have evolved. Of course, there are
always exceptions, extremists, but... never mind, let's not slip back into
the religious debate ;-)

>> I think bands use those images just to be original, to be
>> "different"... but why does it have to go into such violence and gore and
>> other such disgusting material ? Bowie was original in the 60's and 70's..
>
>I can't offer you any help here.  I simply think that society,
>through greed, racism, whatever, has come to view humanity itself as
>debased and unworthy of respect.  Because parents need to work their
>asses off just to make ends meet, they have no time for their kids,
>and the kids get raised by Manson etc.

And Barney ! :-o But you have a good point...

>I think kids are scared by
>adulthood and the prospect of nothing awaiting them at the end of the
>rainbow, so they turn to negative music....

Right. A mirror image of today's society, I'd say. And when we know that
kids are the future, doesn't it get really frightening ? Well, I find it
frightening.

>> When I compare the Christian community to the rest of the
>> world, I can tell you this : the Christian community seems much more
>> "normal" - and once again, I'm not talking about beliefs, but about the way
>> people act..
>
>Look, we will have to agree to disagree.  I'm no atheist, I just
>don't think much of organized religion.  To me, the Christian
>community seems more concerned with controlling people than anything
>else.  Obviously you think otherwise and I respect your views....

Thanks. And I respect yours ;-) Cool, I wish all religious-related
discussions could be like this ;-)

>And, FWIW, I agree with what you just posted about Imaginos!

And so do I *grin*

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
Read the Icarus Encyclopedia of Fantasy & SF
  http://www.pelnet.com/icarus/