OFF: the truth is out there

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Tue Dec 2 12:36:10 EST 1997

> On tis 2 dec 1997 01.33 -0700 "Cliff and Pam Wheaton"
> <cwheaton at TRANSWESTTAXI.COM> wrote:
> > I think Marylin Manson & NIN are
> > rather silly-seems to me that they're out to do nothing but shock-and
> that's
> > all. where's the value in that? It won't really stand the test of
> time-and to
> > me, that's what counts.:)  Rock on!

I'm not too familiar with Marilyn Manson (apart from a porn movie flash in
Lynch's Lost Highway and a couple of tracks off hir first album), but I think
many people underestimate what Trent Reznor has done over the last few years.
Ya may not like it, but Reznor is prettymuch a genius at sonic manipulation
(no thats not masturbation) and studio havoc. The souless (and often tuneless
:)
aspects of industrial music, and alright, a fair bit of profanity are just
hooks for today's youth. Its called rock and roll. The man's gotta earn his
crust too!

The pop-industrial-metal genre like any other has the truly innovative (NIN,
Young Gods) and a load of derivative dross (at random - God Lives Underwater,
Gravity Kills...) like any other. The latter will be transient, while the
former
make their mark on music as legitimately as any band we've ever discussed here
on boc-l.

I ought to take this to irock... :-)

Tim

"'That's what we want isn't it, government approved rock n roll? Whooh, we're
partying now!'"
                                                        Bill Hicks