HW, BOC: Names

Tue Dec 2 19:16:34 EST 1997

You know, I never really believed either of the "official" stories about
the origins of the names "Hawkwind" or "Blue Oyster Cult".  This Daniel
Lanois ref seemed worth following up, but so far all I've got is the lyrics
to the song, "When the Hawkwind Kills":

***Where The Hawkwind Kills

The suburb walls are closing in
I've looked at you and I've seen you
through your curtain

With a naked eye from not far,
I've shed a tear for you,
a flowing fountain

Flaming trees,
I'm lost in fields of your hair

>From where the hawkwinds kill
and the blood runs thin
I'll go now, fly I will

>From inside the gates of the stripping yard
I can't touch you, I can't feel for this thunder town
I want you now while my body is young,
my mind is strong away from thunder town

>From where the hawkwind kills
and the dam runs deep
In this land of heaven, not so sweet

I turn my back to a godless night
I hear the mighty stranger over thunder hill

>From where the hawkwinds kill
and the blood runs thin
I'll go now, fly I will...

Over the mountain I must go
To see the valley below
Thunder town...

Not sure what that's all about!  But it sounds kinda native American to
me...

And searching for the phrase "Blue Oyster", without "Cult" (or "Point",
because you get lists of seafood) found me a seller of gay T-shirts, and a
gay chat-room, at which point I stopped (for the time being, anyway...!)  I
wonder if they just took the name from _Police Academy_, or there's
something more mysterious going on?  I wouldn't put it past Pearlman to
slide in some obscure jargon...

-Andy