OFF: Truth (oh no) and Shock Rock

Ron Jennings sprawl at STARLINX.COM
Tue Dec 2 21:00:21 EST 1997

BREVARD, Adrian R. wrote:

> Sure BOC shocked our parents in the the 70's as Marilyn Manson shocks me
> today.  But this is the nature of the times.

IMo, the only thing shocking about these "shock" bands, is that people find
them shocking.  i find them silly and unworthy of comment. a musical ren and
stimpy.NONE of them is doing anything that has not been done before.

> Years ago Alfred
> Hitchcock's Pyscho was considered the scariest movie out there, not
> necesarrily for what it showed but what people thought they saw.  Today
> we get blasted with f/x and high body counts instead of working the old
> imagination.

the difference between art and production.

> Manson, GWAR and the like are simply following the trend of appealing to
> the lowest common denominator.

again, IMO, these bands are simply following the only thread of stardom
available to them. they are well aware that there are flakes out there who
choose their entertainment based solely on how wierd it is, or how
unacceptible it seems. people that take no pleasure in the entertainment
itself, but only in the disdain it earns them from others.

> As for me I lump those guys in the categopry of music that just dosen't
> interest me, its not good or bad.

im with u on that. indifference is the word, i think.rj