HW, BOC: Names

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Dec 2 21:02:43 EST 1997

Andy Gilham writes:

> You know, I never really believed either of the "official" stories about
> the origins of the names "Hawkwind" or "Blue Oyster Cult".  This Daniel

I'm afraid I believe absolutely (given the state of the people and the
state of mind of that period!) in the Hawkwind story.   Elegant though
it might be to believe in an esoteric origin for the Hawkwind name I
regret that humanity prevails and we have to accept reality and late
1960s for this.   Hawkwind was founded and called after its members -
they acknowledge the honesty of this and I believe them.   Why try to
pretend otherwise that this was a bunch of unwashed music playing
buskers who thought that making the music they wanted to hear was more
important than anything else at all - especially being socially
acceptable (i.e. neat, tidy, well dressed, intellectual) - and giving
this music free to as many people as wanted to hear it.   If the founder
members of Hawkwind say the name was created by a guy that farted and
spat then fine - it may sound socially offensive but that's what the
band were at the time - just like Death Metal or whatsit Manson - these
guys were out to shock society and really annoy the social hierarchy of
that time as well as give an amazing music experience to those that were
willing to be different and experience something new in that period.

I firmly trust (I hope) that Hawkwind in 1969 were not a comfortable
intellectual society acceptable group of folk that you would take home
to supper with your parents and were just a bit wierd in their thought
processes.   This was a band you followed if you were deeply p*ssed off
with everything going on around you or you hid the albums from your
family and didn't admit to even knowing them never mind buying their
records.

Hawkwind were considered Dangerous to Society.   This was not a safe
band to be associated with.   We should remember that.  And acknowledge
and appreciate what they did.    Don't try to change that, please.

jill

obApologyInAdvance>  ok I'm drunk - sorry!
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk