OFF: Snow, metric propaganda! :-)

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Dec 3 07:35:42 EST 1997

Daniel Wikdahl writes:

> I'll never learn how much an inch is! 2.2 cm?

2.4cm

> And those strange "miles" then...  you're writing 'bout how far it is
> from your town to the place where tBS or some other band will play...
> but I just don't get it...  when I'm reading your figures it seems to
> me like the concert can take place anywhere 'tween another continent
> and your backyard! Come on! What's wrong with the metric system?!?
> Inch, yard, feet, pint, quarter pounder cheese etc - rubbish from the
> stone age! :-) :-) :-)

You're luck we decimalised money. It used to be 12 pennies in a
shilling. 5 shillings in a crown, and four crowns in a Pound.

Coins were in denominations of:

farthings: 1/4 penny
halfpennies
pennies
twopennies
threepennies
sixpennies
shillings
Florins: two shillings
half crowns: two and a half shillings
Crowns: five shillings
Ten bob notes: ten shillings
Pounds

Although certain payments were in Guineas rather than Pounds. A Guinea
was a Pound and a shilling.

This system was popularly known as "LSD" as L was the symbol for Pounds,
S for Shillings, and D for pennies.

The good part was of course that since there were 240 pennies in a
Pound, a Pound could be wholly fractioned in various ways that aren't
possible post decimalisation.  We should really go back to the sensible
currency system we used to have.

>                         mvh - Daniel Wikdahl 185cm 83kg 1mm snow (it

FoFP