HW, BOC: Names

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Dec 3 12:01:56 EST 1997

Jon Browne writes:

> In article <199712030202.CAA29795 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk>, J Strobridge
> <eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> writes
> >  If the founder
> >members of Hawkwind say the name was created by a guy that farted and
> >spat then fine - it may sound socially offensive but that's what the
> >band were at the time
>
> I still do not believe this. As Dave mentioned in the Sniffin ' Flowers
> interview, there is a esoteric meaning.

I thought Dave was winding up Bob Calvert at this point!   The
conversation goes something along the lines of DB describes the
formation of the Hawkwind name and then refers its mythical story
connection to Bob who goes "What?" and the conversation shifts tack
rather abruptly after that.

However this is hardly conclusive evidence I grant you!   For myself,
I've never seen Brock in any way as a mystic kinda person.   He's
just one of the original founding members of the band and on that basis
I'll accept that when he describes the first formation of the name then
he's likely to be telling the truth.    If he ever comes out with a
mystical explanation for the name Hawkwind that he insists is the *real*
truth then I guess I'd accept that but until then I'll stick with what
he's said so far!

Yrs mundanely

jill

Obcompromise?> I agree to differ 8-)