OFF: ALL HEIL THE FUCKIN SWASTIKA!!!

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Wed Dec 3 15:28:00 EST 1997

On 03 Dec 18:53, Ted Jackson jr. 6L6 wrote:
> Ah...the Howard Stern defense.  Well I'm a big fan of his, and I
> agree with it.  My take is that humanity is one big self-parody.  Why
> respect a species that doesn't even respect itself?

Well, this defense makes some sense, e.g. in the Motorhead case.  But
one of the things that originally attracted me to Hawkwind (et al)
was that the counter-culture of the time didn't just reject mainstream
culture; they thought they could build something better.  That optimism
is something I still find attractive.  The current pervasive cynicism
saddens me (although I share some of it).

The other defense, that the swastika was a solar symbol, doesn't seem
very convincing when the occurrences being defended appear alongside
chains, helmets, and other military paraphenalia!

Dave (also cheering the counter-culture from the sidelines).
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.