HW: 1999 Party lineup?

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Dec 3 15:52:24 EST 1997

Hello all,

it's been a while, but given that this is probably the most significant HW
release in the 13 years that I've been a fan, I can't resist adding my own
comments ...

1) It's great that the set list for this tour is so different from 'Space
Ritual'; although it's nice to hear considerably different versions of some
stuff ("7 X 7", for instance), it's really great to hear live versions of
"Brainbox Pollution", "You Know You're Only Dreaming" (one thing I'd like
to see in the current HW set is an occasional folk-tinged number like this
one; it was really cool hearing Nik do "Children of the Sun" on his recent
US tour), and all of the HotMG material.

2) Speaking of HotMG, I think it's interesting that the versions of songs
from that album which had already been recorded ("It's So Easy", "You'd
Better Believe It", "Paradox") are performed even better on the 1999 Party,
wheras the newer songs that hadn't yet (at the time of the live recording)
been worked out in the studio ("Psychedelic Warlords", "D-Rider") aren't as
good as the eventual album versions.  I always think it's a good thing when
a band takes the time to work out a song live before bringing it into the
studio; it clearly paid off with those two.

3) Great keyboard/synth playing!  Del sounds vastly improved over his Space
Ritual performance (which is still great, but it sounds there like he's
sometimes just randomly twisting knobs); he clearly REALLY knows what he's
doing.  And Simon's violin & Mellotron (it sounds like that's the only type
of keyboard instrument he's playing) adds a new dimension to many of the
songs (especially "the Watcher") that he didn't originally play on.
Hawkwind have never had as good a keyboard player since.

4) Steve did an excellent job of describing the problem(s) with the mix
(although this is really splitting hairs - the album still sounds great to
my ears!) - it's too much of an 80s/90s production rather than the Wall of
Sound that Hawkwind were playing in those days.  I find that the guitar and
vocals are at acceptable levels, but that the synth/keyboards are sometimes
too quiet - they are, however, brought to the front at appropriate times,
so I can't really complain.  My complaint (and I'm really surprised that no
one has mentioned this yet) is that THERE'S NO SAX/FLUTE!  Nowhere!  It's
totally inaudible throughout the entire album!  Granted, I tend to enjoy
even Nik's most annoying waterfowl noises (which many folks don't, but hey
- I like Ornette Coleman, too), but surely there was some good stuff on
tape?!  Maybe they shouldn't've let Dave mix it ... :^)?

5) It's Lemmy, dammit. "You ARE welcome..."

Well, big thanks are certainly due to EMI and the band for letting this see
the light of day (gee, and I didn't even get to talk about the packaging -
how 'bout those photos of Lemmy and Stacia passed out!)

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com