OFF: Truth (oh no) and Shock Rock

Ron Jennings sprawl at STARLINX.COM
Wed Dec 3 21:08:36 EST 1997

Chip Hart wrote:

>         The irony of this statement appearing on a BOC discussion list
>         is too much to bear (as I think about Albert wearing his
>         Khomeni mask or the "SATANIC SYMBOL" our parents were warned
>         about).
>
>         The comments made on this list the last few days really shock me
>         in terms of their lack of perspective.  I mean, the same things
>         were said about Bach, Mozart, Stravinski, Elvis, The Beatles,
>         Led Zep, Sabbath, and Motley Crue.  And many more.

the difference is that with most of the bands you mention,  satanism was
superimposed by bullet-headed preachers andpoliticians who used it as a tool to
simply have things their way.  motley crew and black sabbath both LOUDLY
pretended to be satanists. LedZep did the same to an extent, especiallly jimmy
page who DOES own aliester crowley's castle.

>         Doesn't ANYONE remember Lennon's "Jesus" comment from years ago?
>         That makes the shock value of Marilyn Manson PALE by comparison
>         (no pun intended).

john lennon's statement was sarcasm, and fairly accurate to boot. MOST of those
people who burned beatles albums would gleefully have skipped church or prayer
to attend a concert- prior to the statement.  the statement was attacked so
vehementlyby the kind of shit-minded dolts who usually pull the strings, that a
mob situation developed. again, all the shock-shit is just silliness.  the
people who get worked up over this kind of thing need some REAL problems
injected into their worlds.

>         Get some perspective, guys, please!

what perspective?  the bands talked about here are posers and pretenders.  GWAR
is a deliberate joke.  marilyn manson isthe big brother playing simple magic
tricks to the amazement of the infantile neighborhood kids.

>         As for GWAR, apparently some people don't realize it *IS* a
>         joke.  It's a bunch of UVA art students, as I remember.  It's
>         SUPPOSED to have a "Stonehedge" quality to it.  I think they
>         accidentally sold more records than they intended.

yes.

>         If you want some really "disturbing" music, check out someone
>         who did it for real: GG Allin.  Hasel Adkins has a few good  ones,
> too.

if i want to see the doings of diseased minds, all i have to do is walk
outside, or turn on the news. i dont have to listen towannabe musicians for it.

rj