Off: Music help

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed Dec 3 21:16:52 EST 1997

(Posting from my old account)...

FWIW...

As it has been stated, the swastika has bee around for years. I think it
originated in the Middle East thousands of years BC. I have seen examples
of it with the arms clockwise (Nazi-style) and anti-clockwise (as in the
Indian, oops, Native American headdress insignia displayed on the side
of the famous American ace Eddie Rickenbachers' Spad XIII). I have also seen
it with the vertical elements at a 0 degree orientation (Finnish AF insignia
prior to 1944, in use since 1911, back when Hitler was still splooting paint
on canvases) and at the 45 degree orientation (Nazi and Estonian AF insignia
between the Wars). The swastika is permanently linked to the Nazi movement,
like it or not. What irks me is the revisionists that try and eliminate its'
existance. I see aircraft models/paintings/photos that do not include the
swastika; excuse me, but those planes flew with that marking, like it or not;
it is a historical fact and that cannot be changed. I hate the tampering-with
of history to prevent some group from having its' feelings hurt (I am fully
sympathetic with the victims of the Holocaust, but the truth is the truth; it
has to apply equally to all.) I also see that models of Finnish a/c of pre-
1944 vintage have their decals chopped up so that a swastika is not on the
sheet, but can be assembled from two halfs; what kind of stupidity is this??

The iron cross, AKA the Maltese cross, the surfers' cross, was used by the
German military for years before the Nazis came along. The Iron Cross was
a decoration for valor during WWI (a friend had one that his father had
captured, minus the swastika; it was a WWI-era one). The Iron Cross is still
used by the Luftwaffe to mark its' aircraft, but it is not the same style as
the WWII-era cross, it is similar to the WWI vintage marking. Again, this
cross has no inherent Nazi connotations.

I am probably not contributing anything to this discussion here, but I think
that people need to understand the symbols and what they stand for before
they display them just because they look "cool".

As far as Motorhead using the symbol, well, damn folks, that is an HE-111 on
the cover of BOMBER, y'know, the one that was the primary bomber used during
Der Blitz and the Battle Of Britian. I think they should have used a Lancaster
instead. (Just what is Lemmy trying to say about his homeland?!?)

No attempt being made to fire one's emotions here, just trying to make you
think...

obCDPlayer: Djam Karet / The Devouring

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Siemens-Pyramid Information Systems