OFF: Truth (oh no) and Shock Rock

Chip Hart chip at PCC.COM
Thu Dec 4 09:11:56 EST 1997

Ron Jennings spoke thusly:
>the difference is that with most of the bands you mention,  satanism was
>superimposed by bullet-headed preachers andpoliticians who used it as a tool to
>simply have things their way.

        Ok, what about Elvis?  What about Mozart?  What about Charlie
        Parker?  You're picking on one silly part of "shocking" art
        (Satanism).

> >         Doesn't ANYONE remember Lennon's "Jesus" comment from years ago?
>
> john lennon's statement was sarcasm, and fairly accurate to boot.

        1) Are you sure it was sarcastic, especially if it were true?
        And, if he were indeed sarcastic, THEN IT WAS HIS POINT TO SHOCK.
        That's MY point.  In 1963, comparing yourself to Jesus was
        was *unquestionably* shocking.  More so than any commercial
        video.

        2) So, if it's accurate...it's not shocking?  Tell me which part
        of Marilyn Manson's S+M imagery isn't being enacted right now in
        basements across this country.  [And don't ANYONE start to tell
        me how "bad" things like that are.  To each his own.]

        3) Everyone whining here about Marilyn Manson probably has an
        Ozzy album or two somewhere - what's the difference?  WHAT ABOUT
        ALICE COOPER?  The people here complaining about MM have
        probably tapped their fingers to "I'm 18" or "School's Out" at
        least once in their lives - EVER SEEN AN ALICE COOPER SHOW?
        It's GWAR and MM combined.

        Cripes.

> MOST of those
> people who burned beatles albums would gleefully have skipped church or prayer
> to attend a concert- prior to the statement.

        Oh, really?  Care to prove this?

>the statement was attacked so
>vehementlyby the kind of shit-minded dolts who usually pull the strings, that a
>mob situation developed.

        You mean like Cincinnati banning a Mapplethorpe exhibit?  Like
        Kentucky banning Marilyn Manson?  Like the Beatles being banned
        all over the country?  Like Elvis not being allowed on TV, and
        then only from the waist down.

        That's what I mean about perspective.  People here have
        complained about "how awful" things are today and "how could
        they get any worse?"  Parents have been saying the same thing
        since the beginning of time.  It's just that many people here
        are happy with the "shocking" rock of their youth - on this
        list, it's BOC and HW.  Well, guys, 15 years ago, people were
        complaining about BOC just like you're complaining about MM.
        "No talent."  "Satanic."

        Pick one.

> again, all the shock-shit is just silliness.  the
> people who get worked up over this kind of thing need some REAL problems
> injected into their worlds.

        *EXACTLY*.

> >         Get some perspective, guys, please!
>what perspective?  the bands talked about here are posers and pretenders.

        And Ozzy isn't?!

        As for pretending - *IS THERE ANOTHER PURPOSE FOR ROCK MUSIC?!*
        That's what it's all about, ultimately.

> GWAR
> is a deliberate joke.

        Righto.  Getting worked up about them (as people have here) is a
        waste of time.

> marilyn manson isthe big brother playing simple magic
> tricks to the amazement of the infantile neighborhood kids.

        Quite right.  Not worth being judgemental.

>if i want to see the doings of diseased minds, all i have to do is walk
>outside, or turn on the news. i dont have to listen towannabe musicians for it.

        Perhaps, but I often prefer to have a soundtrack.

--
Chip Hart                           *                          chip at pcc.com
People's Computer Company           *              http://www.pcc.com/~chip