OFF: Lothar & Early Synth Stuff

John McIntyre MCINTYRE at PA.MSU.EDU
Thu Dec 4 10:33:15 EST 1997

>From: Douglas Pearson <ceres at SIRIUS.COM>

>The United States of America, from LA circa 1968, who used lots of synth
>noises & effects over their driving melodic rock sound, with a great female
>singer.  One of the electronics guys also played violin, often heavily
>processed (especially with ring modulator) - Simon House fans take note!
>Their sole, self-titled, album has been reissued on CD by Sony, with bonus
>tracks.  Leader Joe Byrd went on to make another similar, but not quite as
>good & rockin' album with a new band called the Field Hippies, before
>retreating to staid academia.  I think(?) the Field Hippies album has also
>been reissued on CD.

The United States of America album has been released on CD by Edsel.  The
Field Hippies album, entitled _The American Metaphysical Circus_, has been
reissued on CD by One Way.  On his way to staid academia, Joe Byrd also
released an album of synthesized Christmas Carols called _Ghost Of
Christmas Future_ (or something like that) on Takoma.  Haven't seen that
one on CD yet.  He also did the electronic arrangement for Phil Ochs song
"Cruxifiction" on _Pleasures Of The Harbor_.

>A few interesting uses of synthesizer/electronics in more mainstream 60s
>bands would include:

Jim McGuinn (or was he Roger at the time?) of the Byrds had one of the
early Moogs and it shows up on various albums.

I believe Keith Emerson was the first rock musician to drag a synthesizer on
stage.

>If I left anyone out, please let me know!

There were some one-off electronic albums such as _The Wozard of Id_ and
Lucifer's _A Black Mass_.

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Domine Dept
Michigan State University