Off: Music help

Christian Mumford cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Thu Dec 4 15:39:18 EST 1997

I think the use of the Swastika with Lemmy, Sid Viscious, Siouxie Sioux,
Laibach - the latter in particular - is also that its a symbol so firmly
drenched in the stigma of WWII it is bound to provoke on either side.
Whether it's "strategically" in the case of Laibach's powerful mish-mash
of symbols/ideologies/religion to create extremely unsettling commentary
on society and history, or with dumb old Sid, just to piss people off.
Lemmy, I would think has some dual idea of it: WWII and its insanity
but also in the solar context the individual's undisputed freedom and
potential power? Also I think the Swastika retains some sexual connotations,
God knows what, but a lot of pent up young men in uniform liked that
sort of power symbol I suppose (and still do). The early Siouxie & The
Banshees
played with it in a kinky S&M context, and I for one cracked up first time
I saw Russ Meyer's "Up!" where Hitler enjoys a bit of the whip, not to mention
countless badass Nazi-biker go-go chick flicks of the 60s where the Swastika
looks fuckin HOT!!

swastika a-go-go,
Christian