OFF: GWAR

Stephen Swann swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Thu Dec 4 18:01:51 EST 1997

Ted Jackson jr. 6L6 writes:

> > From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>
>
> > Good points, for what I know about Ozzy, Alice (both of which I've seen),
> > MM and GWAR (which I haven't - well, did catch some live footage of a
> > recent GWAR show in Boston - decapitated corpse spewing blood everywhere
> > via a hose - all seemed very silly to me).
>
> I don't know much at all about GWAR, but I remember a guy in the band
> saying something great once.  GWAR had been given some MTV video
> award, and he said [I paraphrase] "I am truly ashamed to be receiving
> an award from MTV.  This is an embarassment...'  I'm not doing
> justice to his quote, but I remember rolling on the floor at the time
> I read it...Can't hate the guy too much!

They're very funny.  They were the, ahem, "musical" guests of honor at
DragonCon this year.  I didn't go to the concert, but I did see their
pre-concert meeting with the press.  It was hysterical, with them
lumbering around in those oversized foam-rubber ManOwar getups, and
talking up their usual line of shit.  I wish I could remember some of
the quotes... all that I can recall is that on being asked where they
get their costumes, Odorous Urungous (?) replied, "Costumes?  We
perform in our street clothes.  You know, like Springsteen.", while
someone else chimed in, "We get 'em off the rack, at K-Mart".

Steve
swann at panix.com