OFF: parenting

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Dec 4 19:42:15 EST 1997

Chip> Like Elvis not being allowed on TV, and
        then only from the waist down.

JS>Uh Chip...

>3) Everyone whining here about Marilyn Manson probably has an
        Ozzy album or two somewhere - what's the difference?

[Good Stuff Snipped]

JS>Anyways, this isn't a disagreement with Chip - just some food for
thought.

Whew, agree Mr. Swartz.  I can see your points too Chip but man the tone
feels a wee bit like venting.  Some of the threads may appear to be
bashing MM and Gwar but mostly I think many have shown some concern over
what these bands are and what they do from a different perspective.
Many of us are parents and we have become something we never imagined,
our own parents.

As a parent I have to be concerned with MM and Gwar are doing, but they
and their ilk are only a fraction of what I have to concen myself.  I'm
a Christian and firmly belive that my children are a gift and blessing
provided to me by God, they are my responsibility to raise and do the
very best I can.  That is my basic duty as a parent. Young kids are
impressionable and it is my job to help guide them until they can make
their own judgements about these things.  I'm not saying I forbid them
to listen to either of these bands or similar music, no sir, my job is
to explain to them what they are seeing and hearing, give them a
different perspective to consider.  Just becuase you explain the "bird
and the bees" to a ten year old does not mean they are ready to watch
porn movies with you.

CHIP>That's what I mean about perspective.  People here have
        complained about "how awful" things are today and "how could
        they get any worse?"  Parents have been saying the same thing
        since the beginning of time.

To a parent, yeah, the sky is always falling, but from my perspective
things are worse today than they were then.  I have no idea of your age
but maybe you spent your teen years in the late 80's when urban violence
exploded to new levels.  From your persective they probably aren't much
worse.  I spent mine in the mid 70's and there is a huge difference.
Can they get worse?  Absolutely as soon as we run of of prison space and
violent people can no longer be incarcerated.  As soon as some whacko
thinks he can rule the world by employing weapons of mass destruction
(imagine if Hitler had todays technology back then, think he would have
hesitated?) As soon as Mother Earth has had enough of this bothersome
infestation known as man and chucks us all into the upper atomosphere
beyond gravity's influence so we drift aimlessly forever, cosmic
flotsam.  As soon as...

Ah you get the picture.

L8er
lil ab