OFF: Truth (oh no) and Shock Rock

Fri Dec 5 09:15:34 EST 1997

>> From:          Chip Hart <chip at PCC.COM>
>
>         I'm curious: what "newness" has either of the two bands that
>         we're supposed to discuss here offered?  Ever?  None, really.  I
>         just like to hear Buck's guitar and sing along with Al.  Nothing
>         new to it.

Totally new?  Maybe nothing.  But when BOC erupted onto the scene in
the early 70s, they were for sure breaking new ground, esp.
lyrically.  Both in content and structure.  The subject matter of
BOC's lyrics was novel, and the way they were presented, cf often
disdaining end rhyme in their lyrics.  Frequent key changes, etc.,
incorporation of keyboards into a heavy rock band [not unique per se,
but BOC's approach was novel].  HW?  I'm no expert here, but I
suspect a lot of HW fans would agree they were groundbreaking.  tBS?
Not totally original maybe, but not too many other bands out there
doing what Al and co. are up to.

When discussing BOC, we're going back 25 years now.  Maybe what
they're doing today isn't unique, but trust me, when BOC started out,
there wasn't anyone doing things exactly like them...

theo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"...it's legal, but it ain't a hundred percent legal..."
v.vega