OFF: Lothar & Early Synth Stuff

Ch'mu cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Sat Dec 6 21:04:18 EST 1997

At 19:51 06.12.97 -0500, you wrote:
>Christian sez...
>

>>At 09:41 05.12.97 +0000, ya wrote:
>>
>>>Nope, worse, it was a full size Hammond.
>>
>>I thought the Moog was heavier since it was a complex
>>set of magnetic strips with different sounds recorded
>>that were read every time a key was struck and thus was
>>the first "real" analogue synth, and the Hammond "merely"
>>and electric organ.
>
>Christian, Christian, Christian, you poor benighted fellow, you.

Well, thankyou :)

>What you are describing is a MELLOTRON!!!

D'OH!!!!!!!! I knew this - I just confused the two, probably since they
both are strange 70s technology and begin with an M... yes, I knew it wasn't
a synth, but was at a loss to find the word "sampler" - believe me, the
brain damage can be quite crippling from time to time! I will punish myself
now by listening to "Popcorn" a million times as I scrawl into my skin with
a rusty needle "that's a moog, that's a moog, that's a moog"... then when they
lock me up I will request "Assault And Battery" just to punish my self.

>Y'know, the string intro on
>"Assult and Battery / Golden Void" from WARRIOR?? The 'Tron was never a
>synth (although there were some synth sample tapes, IIRC),  but an early
>sampler, if you will. They were heavy (the figure 400 lbs. stick in my head)
>but Emersons' modular Moog was heavier by at least 100, maybe 300 lbs (I
>seem to remember that the Moog weighed either 500 or 700 lbs.

Damn! why???

> (and a helluva
>lot bigger. A 'Tron 400 looks like a Hammond console organ, so you is
>forgiven for getting the two kornfoozed).

Oh yeah, sure, I knew that :)

> Important points here, Emerson
>never played a 'Tron, to the best of my knowledge, and he never took one on
>stage if he did. He did all of his stage antics with a Hammond B-3 (he
>"stabbed' the keyboard with a knife to hold the keys down, his "ripping out
>of the guts" was to manipulate the reverb by hand, etc. He wasn't really
>destroying the instrument).

Cool, I do this with my computer keyboard sometimes with broken beer
bottles.

>>>Poor girl was brain damaged.
>>
>>Well, she had to be to go and see ELP in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>Bite me!! :-) So watch you are callin' brain damaged, 'cuz you are probably
>hanging out with a bunch of us that  are!!!

This list is all upstanding, well dressed and educated people with no
experience in brain damage or any other things associated with the word
"brain"! (/"%¤%¤!!?)

>(waitaminute, that didn't come
>out the way I wanted it to!!! :-S  (How do you do a confused emoticon?)).

You get one by experimenting with sharp objects stuck between keys! Like
the monkey I posted a few days ago.

>ELP was the first band that I heard that used synthesizers and TARKUS still
>stands as one of my all-time favorites (than 'n BRAIN SALAD SURGERY). They
>did kinda tank after that, but lotsa bands did in the late '70's...

Yeah but you must be old :) EVERY band I grew up with used synthesized sounds
:(

Christian

NP: Architectural Metaphor - Creature Of The Velvet Void