HW: DH/1999 Party in US?

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Dec 9 15:00:26 EST 1997

Steve Swann sez:

>Ted Jackson jr. 6L6 writes:
>>
>> Anyone here in the US found DH or 1999 at a realistic price yet?
>> I've only seen them in a couple internet stores, and they're charging
>> over 20 bucks for DH.  Too rich for my thinned-out blood...
>
>I'd give $25 for The 1999 Party, anyway.  But CDNOW was listing it at
>over $40(!), and now it's "on sale" for $33.  Outrageous.  And I don't
>have much experience with other web-based CD shops.  So, I second
>Theo's request.  Can anyone suggest a good source for 1999 at a
>reasonable price?
>
>Steve

Unfortunately, I wouldn't get my hopes up.  I had to pay $33 + tax for my
copy, although I'd expect to see it for somewhat less (I had to buy it from
one of the more expensive stores in the Bay Area, since it was the only one
that had copies yet ... even though I'd sworn never to set foot in the
place again since the owner is a grade-A1 asshole ... that's what a
Hawkwind addiction will do to one's sacred vows!), maybe around $30.  Keep
in mind that a deluxe-package full-price (i.e. not budget) double-CD import
isn't going to retail for much less than that anywhere in the US.  I'm not
really complaining, though, 'cause The 1999 Party is worth every penny I
spent!  I've had a couple friends who work for record distributors try to
locate copies, but it doesn't seem to be very-well distributed on this side
of the Atlantic - most folks haven't even heard of it yet. But I would
strongly suspect that having a connection at a store or distributor who can
cut you a deal is the only way you'll find a copy for less than US$30.  And
again, without thay kind of connection, I'd suspect it's very unlikely that
copies of DH will turn up in this country for any less than $18 - that's
just the way it is with imports (especially imports of *sigh* marginal
interest to the general public).  I would also advise trying Mike Coleman -
I'm not sure if he has copies yet, but if/when he does, his markup will at
least be lower than the typical importer->distributor->retailer cost.  You
could also try writing EMI/Capitol US to see if they'd release it
domestically, but given that the only thing they've done w/their Hawkwind
back catalog is license it to Cleopatra & One Way, I wouldn't ever expect
to see that happen.

As for me, I'm just making tapes for my friends who can't find/afford it
(and there's already a long waiting list).

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com