HW: Calvert lyric puzzle

Scott Bullerwell tanelorn at DIMENSIONAL.COM
Thu Dec 11 18:10:31 EST 1997

Everyone wrote (paraphrasing)

>"I hear 'fruit machines' too."

Fruit machines it is, then.  Wow.  Never heard 'em called that stateside.
Thanks for the info.  Guess I envisioned a vending machine full of
suspicious-looking fruit.

There's two other places where my poor wooden ear contradicts Mr. Gilham's:

1.  "photos from a booth, rifle range" goes the transcript on Spirit of the
(p)Age

"photos from a booth, my full range" is what Scott hears.  It seems to make
sense, given the overall theme of the album--an ambitious loser who wants
to be a star and might ham it up in a photo booth as if to make a
portfolio.  (Of course, I had our protagonist playing foosball not thirty
seconds before!  Who knows).  Are/were there really seafront rifle ranges
in the UK?

2.  "fat girls out of reach, passed me by" goes the transcript.

"that girl's out of reach, passed me by" is what Scott hears.  Granted,
I've had the honor of being in BOTH situations.  I find it somewhat harder
to believe, though, that the young Mr. Mahler doesn't have a chance with
any one of several "fat girls" on the beach.  (But then, he also confesses
"could be Amsterdam, might get laid" and if he isn't sure THERE, where can
he be?)

Once again, thanks for all yer helps on this.

Scott Bullerwell
tanelorn at dimensional.com
Boulder, Colorado, USA