HW: Calvert lyric puzzle

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Dec 11 20:37:08 EST 1997

Scott Bullerwell writes:

> Thanks for the info.  Guess I envisioned a vending machine full of
> suspicious-looking fruit.

mmm - nice idea <my list of suspicious fruit follows:>

apples (legendary, magical - lifegiving properties)
pomegranates (historical, aphrodisiac - all the seeds)
pineapples (historical, magical - the Romans used to carve them on
        tombstones - no idea why!)
grapes  (well not the fruit but you need a slave to peel them for you)
bananas (modern)

however it would take the history police to arrest you for carrying/
concealing most of the above so you no longer need to wrap your
fruit discreetly in an anonymous brown paper bag and take it home
to hide it in a cool dark place - though now I come to think about it.......

> There's two other places where my poor wooden ear contradicts Mr. Gilham's:
> 1.  "photos from a booth, rifle range" goes the transcript on Spirit of the
> (p)Age
>
> "photos from a booth, my full range" is what Scott hears.  It seems to make

I haven't listened to be honest but I'd be inclined to accept the rifle
range suggestion.    I supect that it's not a rifle range as in the
States that he has in mind but more a fairground fun-type stall where
(usually) playing cards are stuck up on a board and you fire an
air-rifle pellet at them to see how many you can hit and win a prize.
Is there an element of random selection here?    In fact I can remember
(from my youff) a stall in an amusement arcade that had a rifle chained
and enclosed behind a thick perspex window but you could move it around
enough to take pot shots at some target or other.   Trouble is you just
got it lined up and your money and the ammo ran out.   Clever stuff!

> sense, given the overall theme of the album--an ambitious loser who wants
> to be a star and might ham it up in a photo booth as if to make a
> portfolio.  (Of course, I had our protagonist playing foosball not thirty
> seconds before!  Who knows).  Are/were there really seafront rifle ranges
> in the UK?
>
> 2.  "fat girls out of reach, passed me by" goes the transcript.
>
> "that girl's out of reach, passed me by" is what Scott hears.  Granted,

I'd be inclined to accept "that" in this instance but based on nothing
more than a hazy sense of grammatical correctness.

cheers

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk