HW: 1999 Party/DH

cannibal at CUTEY.COM cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Fri Dec 12 13:46:23 EST 1997

At 09:35 12.12.97 +0200, you wrote:
>Ok,
>
>        I got the new Hawkwind, Distant Horizons and the 1999 Party today!
>I have given the DH one listen and really liked some parts of it but it
>seems that some of the songs are just filler synth stuff and not all that
>interesting? We will see what I think on repeat listens.  Did anyone figure
>out what that is on the cover? Any archeologists out there...

Um... yes - it's the design from the LiS EP! It is terrestrial of origin,
most likely generated by an underpaid designer on a Mac, and if so most
likely in Photoshop. My crack team of archeologists are still arguing whether
the cost of making the DH booklet exceeded £25 and if the designer in question
has received any of it. Judging by the typography on the back however, one
can argue if a designer was involved in the first place. This last observation
may very well be evidence that the booklet cost less than £25 to make. We have
yet to investigate which values the culprit in question set the "Emboss"
filter
on before pressing "Apply". Indeed, just utilizing the basic filters rather
than a good plug-in like KPT or Alien Skin attests to the atrocious cheapness
of it all. :) (sorry, it's Friday and I'm a wiseass after a long week!)

Like the music though! The title track's cool... Alchemy is a scorcher! So's
Reptoid Vision - hell, even some of the ambient-ish stuff is allright. I'd
say DH is the spiritual "sequel" to Xenon Codex! Wheels ain't bad
either... Phetamine Street rocks the industrially soiled diapers off Trent
Reznor's gerbil infested butt!

Christian

NPfarOut!: Xhol - Motherfuckers GMBH & Co KG

"This man came up to me,
just the other day
and asked me if I'd been born again;
I told him I didn't think I had -
that I had been rejected.
But I think
Hell's got all the good bands
anyway..."

        - The Flaming Lips, Ode To C.C. (Part II)