Fw: Re: HW: 1999 Party

Jerome Kekatos hawkwind at ZEBRA.NET
Fri Dec 12 23:05:45 EST 1997

>>WOW!  This is a really great CD!  I am  bit suprised that Nik is almost
>>mixed out. You could not hear him at all in Brainbox pollution and in It's
>>so Easy he should have been much louder.  Did anyone notice Lemmy went
into
>>the bass line for Down thru the night at about 5:30 into Brainstorm.  Boy,
>>Nik is practially gone on Brainstorm.  Was he really that bad that night
or
>>did Dave purposely mix him out?
>>R. Scott Heller PhD
>
>Thereby confirming once again the poopy mix!  Nik is virtually inaudible,
>the synths are mixed very low, Dave's guitar is mixed pretty low.  It's all
>vocals and bass!  Ugh!  How much better this album could have been with a
>good mix job!

It has been twenty plus years, but from the perspective of one who was at
the show, the party disc's mix seems pretty accurate to the actual
performance. Lemmy's bass was a pretty strong component of the 1974
concerts, the 1999 show and the band's September US tour (including the
infamous hammond indiana bust show).

>From what I know of hearsay from that era, UA hired locals to record the
show. A dub of the MAN part of the show surfaced at a local college radio
station that winter. I'm not an audio pro but  I'm sure present day Dave and
company only had so much to work with from the original tapes.

Whatever the state of the mix-down, 1999 is a great document of that age of
Hawkwind.