HW: Bedouin album

Tue Dec 16 06:23:12 EST 1997

OK, I got this yesterday.  First thing I noticed was that it's labelled as
as Alan Davey album called "Bedouin", not an eponymous album by the group
"Bedouin" (not that that makes much difference I suppose).  The players are
AD, Danny Thompson on drums, and Sean Massett on guitar (although Alan
takes a lot of the guitar parts too), and all the compositions bar one are
by Alan (and the other's by Alan and DT).

Musically - most of it's instrumental (the vocals on a couple of tracks are
by Alan), and as with _Captured Rotation_ you can definitely tell it's a
bass player's album.  Despite the title, the Middle Eastern influence is
slight; it's *there* in places, OK, but this album won't be finding its way
onto the World Music racks.  I'd call it space-rock with a jazz edge, for
the most part.  Quite a lot could easily fit onto a Hawkwind album
(although that album might be _It is the Business..._ :)

Time will tell how much staying power it's got for me personally, but it's
a solid achievement, and I expect that 52 minutes of bass-led space rock
will go down well on the list!

-Andy