OFF: Gigs to be rated?

Tue Dec 16 08:33:23 EST 1997

 From:          Horse Whisperer <beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM>
> slightly.  Now Labour has got into power, by a massive majority, because
> the average liberal punter had got so thoroughly fucked off with
> everything that they finally got off their areses and voted the
> Conservatives out.

It's going to take a major upheaval over here [like another oil
crisis--most of you all will be too youing to remember the price of
gas doubling overnight in the 70s.  When I was in my early 20s you
could buy gas for about 50 cents a gallon, as opposed to 1.20 or so
nowadays] to do any substantive reworking of American politics.  Our
2 parties are virtually the same.  Both centrists, with the democrats
only slightly more liberal.  A big change from the 60s when the 2
parties really were different.  Our big problem politically is that
nobody votes, so both parties are so careful to court anybody they
think MIGHT vote!  We only have about 45 percent of the eligible
voters going to the polls.  And a little over half of that elects
anyone.  So really, our leaders are only truly favored by less than
25 percent of the public!  When Reagan was reelected, in a
landslide, he received a smaller part of the eligible electorate than
Wendell Wilkie got in LOSING to FDR in the 40s...

> But now Labour's in power and on the strength of one really charismatic
> leader.  So everyone is saying how wonderful he is, and how wonderful
> Labour government is.

Hitler was pretty charismatic...

> But underneath all this loveliness and wonderfulness, every single
> aspect of choice is being altered and nobody is noticing.
> In the name of making things better, the gov't is taking food from
> mouths and then telling the unemployed to get a job (in a nutshell).

You could come here and hear the same thing from our pols.  They talk
about a war on poverty, but it's really a war on poor people.
Gingrich et al want to withdraw funding from mental hospitals and
throw all the patients on the streets.  Tell everyone to get a job,
but the only jobs out there will pay people less and give them a
lower standard of living than they'd have on public assistance.
People can only get shit jobs, because the schools poor people go to
are inferior.  The rich pols don't give a shit if public schools are
a joke, 'cause they can afford to send their kids to private
schools...

> I dunno.  Politics, huh?  It's my life they're screwing with!
>
> Chris.
You got that right!

theo

"I told you not to be stupid..."