OFF:Faves of 1997

Scott Heller shll at HAGEDORN.DK
Tue Dec 16 09:41:16 EST 1997

MY FAVORITE CD'S OF 1997

These are the CD's that I have bought this year that really have grabbed me
and I really recommend to all with diverse tastes in muisc.

Alien Planetscapes- Life on Earth (US)  What can I say? Amazing free form
space rock jazz... Great CD!  Too long of a wait!

Hawkwind- The 1999 Party (UK)  Amazing live CD. Keep them coming Dave!

Deep Purple- Live in Japan (25th Anniversary Reissue) 3CD's
                (all three shows that Made in Japan was taken from, amazing
sound. It is mixed spacially, so that you really can tell where everyone on
the stage is.  Incredible mix!)

Outrage- Who we Are (Japan)- Incredible japanese metal band, with just a
great groove and guitar riffs.

Vagtazo Halottkemek- Reconquering Eden (Hungary) Incredible band but very
hard to describe and a bit over the top for some, but I love them!

Santana- Live at the Filmore 68' (US) This is simply an incredible jam
session, with one over 30 minute song and many over 10!

Tangle Edge- Tarka (Norway) The more I listen to this one the more I like
it. The guitar playing at times just blows me away. The whole band is
great. This takes a few listens to catch on.. Don't give up to early.

The Gathering- Nightime Birds (Holland)  Great progressive doom metal band
with incredible female vocals.

Bevis Frond- NOrth Circular (UK) Nick has done it again. A mixed bag but
still enough great and interesting stuff to make me want to hear it over
and over.. Give me the Pips!

Adrian Shaw- Displaced Person (UK) This one also took a few listens. SOmeof
the songs are really influenced by ENO a lot! Some almost industrial
sounding stuff to start the disc off and then into some psychy stuff and
ENO like stuff. A incredible mix of cool and interesting stuff.

Architectural Metaphor- Creatures of the Velvet Void (US) This bands 2nd Cd
with great new songs and a long killer jam based on Golden Void to end the
disc.  Mix could have been a lot better but great playing and songs.

UFO- Walk on Water (UK)  I know this one was released in japan last year,
but it just came out in Europe and is amazing. Michael has written some
incredible new riffsthat sound like they were from 1978!  The concert in
København was incredible as well, but the band might have been in isolation
booths as there was absolutely no interaction between the band on stage at
all. Phil Moog (singer) never said a single word to anyone in the band the
whole show, while on stage!

scott

ObCs- St. Mikael- Soul Flower (sweden

R. Scott Heller PhD