OFF: More Rush Bashing, Theo?

Chip Hart chip at PCC.COM
Tue Dec 16 13:25:08 EST 1997

Ted Jackson jr. 6L6 spoke:
> The problem with Rush is they started out as basic Zep clones, then
> tried to shift gears into prog territory.

        Your comment seems to imply that they failed.

        Personally, I wouldn't call them prog, but they have certainly
        avoided being a I-IV-V rock band for almost 30 years, and that's
        worth something.

> They have great ability as
> players, but not nec. as composers.

        Clearly, that's a matter of taste.  I'm not sure exactly what
        "composing" ability means for a 3-piece rock band, but their
        collective songwriting skills - lesse, Red Barchetta, Chemical
        Kid, 2112, Xanadu, Freewill, etc. x 30 - have been excellent.

> They could get by on playing ability
> for quite a while, but I think the absence of musical ideas is what's
> undoing them now.

        I wish more bands would "get along on playing ability for quite
        a while" like Rush has.  Whether you think they suck now or
        then, they cranked out a lot of high quality music from about
        1972 until 1988 (MY faves, anyway).

        That's 16 grade-A years.

        That's about as long as our good friends, BOC.  Hell, the last
        real BOC output would be what...ETL?  [Imaginos goes to Albert,
        imo.]

        I agree, Theo, that it's particularly easy to bait Rush fans.
        Especially those who think Neil Peart is a drum god.  But
        insulting any band with a broad brushstroke, as you have done
        here, would tick anyone off, don't you think?

--
Chip Hart                           *                          chip at pcc.com
People's Computer Company           *              http://www.pcc.com/~chip