OFF: Gigs to be rated?

Damon C Capehart monsieur at MYMAIL.NET
Tue Dec 16 23:55:43 EST 1997

Ted Jackson wrote:
> Damon wrote:
>> ...And, oh
>> bloody hell no, my 14 year old won't be able to attend the
>> 2-Live-Crew concert with me... boo-hoo.
>> P.S.:  Reminder - I'm 24.

>Hmm...You're 24, and you have a 14-year-old?  Must be another one >of those
scandinavians...

:-) *sigh*

>Well, it's pretty scary to think that people as young as you guys are
>so  uptight.  Let the gov't. censor concerts, and then what's next?

Misunderstanding:
A) I agree with the assessment that censoring (for the most part) is wrong.
B) What I don't understand is why it's such a big deal to make information
about events (content, etc.) available to us ahead of time. I read the
Dallas Morning News' movie reviews not because I agree with them (rarely),
but because at the end, along with the stars, they say "Rated R for
language, gore, and one topless roll in the hay" (or something similar).
The only thing I don't like about it is that they often forget to mention
certain things that I would have thought obvious.  E.g., when Star Trek :
First Contact came out, they gave no mention of the moderate use of bad
language.  (It wasn't that bad, but enough considering how many younger
children were bound to see the movie).

Anyway, some sort of regulation as to some sort of general consensus about
"what might offend" would be good.  Not censorship, just disclosure (the
opposite of censorship?).

Damon