OFF: Gigs to be rated?

Damon C Capehart monsieur at MYMAIL.NET
Wed Dec 17 00:16:16 EST 1997

Ted Jackson wrote:

>Horse Whisperer wrote:
>Absolutely!  I don't need no stinking government to tell me what is
>offensive.  I can make up my own mind, thank you.

Warning:  I am going to scream.  Don't read it if you don't want to see it.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUGGGGGHHH!!!!!

Okay, slowly now....
I. know. very. well. what. offends. me.

The. government. would. not. be. telling. me. what. offends. me.

It's pretty obvious what tends to offend a significant # of people, at least
in the U.S.:  offensive language (not as big a deal for me), portrayals of
sex and/or violence, drug use, etc.

Again:  the government would -NOT- be telling us what offends us; they would
be warning parents and others of content that would be unsuitable for
themselves or their children - WHETHER DUE TO LACK OF ABILITY TO HANDLE (in
the case of gore and violence) OR LACK OF ABILITY TO COMPREHEND (in the case
of drugs).

Horse whisperer:
> If you don't like something, avoid it - don't rob others of their choice
> to discover their own likes or dislikes.

Just to re-reiterate:
This is NOT about government telling us what we should consider offensive;
we know what offends us.  This is about granting us the freedom to decide
whether or not we want to attend a movie/concert, watch a TV show, whatever,
based on what a number of us find offensive.

Read the freakin' post before screaming "censorship".  We ought to have the
right to know what to expect.  Our decisions would be better informed that
way.

Damon