OFF: Gigs to be rated?

Horse Whisperer beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 17 05:41:09 EST 1997

>Okay, slowly now....
>I. know. very. well. what. offends. me.
>
>The. government. would. not. be. telling. me. what. offends. me.

Now we're getting down to YOUR opinion.

>Again:  the government would -NOT- be telling us what offends us; they
would
>be warning parents and others of content that would be unsuitable for
>themselves or their children - WHETHER DUE TO LACK OF ABILITY TO HANDLE
(in
>the case of gore and violence) OR LACK OF ABILITY TO COMPREHEND (in the
case
>of drugs).

I agree with you one hundred percent.  This was why I mentioned the fact
that, unlike movies, you can get the CD before you see the show, and
read a review of a previous date on the band's concert tour.
This is, I think, fulfilling your criteria for pre-information.  What
more can you ask for?

>Horse whisperer:
>> If you don't like something, avoid it - don't rob others of their
choice
>> to discover their own likes or dislikes.
>
>Just to re-reiterate:
>This is NOT about government telling us what we should consider
offensive;
>we know what offends us.  This is about granting us the freedom to
decide
>whether or not we want to attend a movie/concert, watch a TV show,
whatever,
>based on what a number of us find offensive.
>
>Read the freakin' post before screaming "censorship".  We ought to have
the
>right to know what to expect.  Our decisions would be better informed
that
>way.
>
>Damon

I think that the ORIGINAL post was quite clear about the government's
intentions, and these were to impose and enforce guidelines.
Your view on this is very idealistic and if how you see things is how
they turn out, then all well and good, but, and this is a big but, you
don't really believe that sensible, gentle legislation like that will
actually be brought in do you?
The reason we're reacting like this is because we all know what
governments do in "public interest" cases such as this.
It's a hobby horse for rallying public opinion, because it's something
upon which everyone has an opinion.  It doesn't improve your standard of
living, it doesn't improve the standing of your country, all it does is
give your government a free hand to legally shut down any venue or stop
any touring band (rather than just have some right-wing evangelist or
congressman making a name for himself shouting) and make your country
look bigoted and small-minded.

It would, in essence, BE the gov't telling you what you're allowed to
witness, and not the mere provision of a ratings system which I agree
would be nice (if a little unnecessary).

Your initial post didn't make it clear what you drew from the original
posting, and I think me and the others picked up on a different angle.
This doesn't mean we didn't read yours.

Chris.