More Best of 1997

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Dec 17 06:38:22 EST 1997

In article <199712170913.JAA09031 at dibble.aeolians.bt.co.uk>, bart
<bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK> writes
>Definitely a thin year for releases though.

Disagree. It's been a great year for new releases. A lot of bands I've
been into for years are now the mainstream. Q's cover discs are no
longer Hothouse Flowers and Sheryl Crow, but are Prodge, Radiohead,
Verve etc. Maybe there is no underground anymore.

Highlights...

Spiritualized _ Ladies And Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space
Primal Scream - Vanishing Point and Echo Dek
HW - 1999 & DH
Chemical Brothers - Drill Your Own Hole
Radiohead - OK Computer
Supergrass - In it For the Money
Bentley Rythm Ace - S/T
Photek - Modus Operandi
Verve - Urban Hymns
Charlatans - Telling Stories
Cornershop - When I was Born For The 7th Time
Prodigy - Fat Of The Land
Foo Fighters - Colour and Shape
Lee Scratch Perry Box Set

Year's Best Reissue - Joy Division - Heart And Soul (yeah, like that's
going to go over big on this list. I liked 'em in the late '70's, could
_NOT_ countenence listening to them for nearly 20 years, what's more
disliked anyone who did. Idjit!   It's  _Epic_    )

Big Bummer - Dinasaur Jr. split.

pretty obvious stuff for me thses days. No more dodgy noise merchants
making "difficult" music for me, middle age I guess....

BTW Christian, Interpreter was 1996 otherwise I'd have ranked it too!
--
Jon Browne