OFF:Faves of 1997

Wed Dec 17 17:37:02 EST 1997

On Wednesday, December 17, 1997 9:21 PM, cannibal at CUTEY.COM
[SMTP:cannibal at CUTEY.COM] wrote:
> At 22:16 16.12.97 -0000, Andy Gilham wrote:
>
> >Spooky - I just got the OP8 album (_Slush_) yesterday, great sultry
> >stuff.
> > They're Giant Sand, of course.
>
> Sultry!! THAT's the word! Would fit nicely into a Tarantino flick...
> Are they Giant Sand? Heard good things about Giant Sand!

Yeah, Howe Gelb and his weird friends from out in the desert somewhere.
 I've seen them about 4 or 5 times and they've never played the same song
twice - and they've also varied from being seriously mind-shaggingly
brilliant, to so crap I left half-way through!  Recordings are just as
variable, but if you see the "Giant Songs" comp it's a good place to start.
 Or the "Long Stem Rant" album for that matter.

> >My fave of 97 - really has to be _Lower Yourself_ by the New Christs!
> > Does
> >it fucking rock out or what!
>
> Don't ask me man! Are they the Aussie punk band?

Rob Younger from Birdman and his latest line-up.  Rob has described himself
as an "ancient sod" but it's a hot young band.  Anyway it does!

> BTW, on the reissue front I forgot to add the surprisingly GREAT
> remix/remaster
> of Iggy & The Stooges / Raw Power! Does THAT fuckin rock out or what!!!
> As Iggy sez: everything is in the red... still, hard to fix such a fucked
> up recording in the first place (which of course is part of its skanky
> glam-junkie-death-rock charm!!)

Oh yes, that's been getting an awful lot of play here lately too!  Along
with the New Race remaster (Birdman/Stooges/MC5 hybrid, live in Oz in 81
and kicking serious butt).  And the more mellow reissue playing here right
now, Turner's "Xitintoday".  (Bugger me, that was on topic!)

-Andy