HW: Bedouin album - Ginger

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Dec 18 04:35:23 EST 1997

In article <199712171436.JAA02793 at dogberry>, Stephen Lindsey
<stephen at SPATIALWARE.COM> writes
>A tip, theres a video of Cream partly last concert at Albert Hall, partly
>interviews, Ginger is at his drumkit showing a few sample rolls,
>he thinks hes doing nothing special, I defy anybody else to be  left
>anything but  speechless by
>his apparent totally independent control of all four limbs.

I did write a *very* long reply to this, but then thought better of
sending it. There's enough trashing of musicians without me adding to
it. I will say this though, ability is really not the point. Otherwise,
I wouldn't be listening to HW, I'd be listening to the eternal twiddling
of Satriani or Vai. Hendrix was a genius because of what he had to say.
It was what he was expressing, the fact that he could express himself
brilliantly is secondary to his message. What is Ginger's message?
His control is indeed fantastic. I have seen Chinese jugglers do *seven*
clubs. Amazing, but they didn't rock either. Hell, they didn't even
swing. Over-emphasis on virtuosity is a mistake. This is why we fought
the Punk Rock wars of '77.

>As for his work with HW - Levitation I would have to say is his finest
>contribution.

No arguements there :)

--
Jon