Off: Rush & Knut etc.

cannibal at CUTEY.COM cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Thu Dec 18 17:24:28 EST 1997

At 12:52 18.12.97 -0800, Doug wrote:

>Even though I wouldn't be caught dead actually listening to them, I DO have
>to give Queen credit for having the good taste to very blatantly rip off
>the Move (circa 'Shazam' & 'Looking On') and the Pretty Things (circa 'S.F.
>Sorrow' & 'Parachute').  Those are four albums I listed to pretty
>frequently.

Why I would even defend The Cult - if you are gonna rip someone off,
make sure you have good taste!! Queen were a very varied band veering
from heavy metal to fluffy beatles-pop & music hall, progrock, gay disco (!?),
silly opera & even Spacerock!! (check the Flash Gordon soundtrack disc
folks!!
Ha!). Even better, they had something most pompous 70s stadium bands lacked:
humour! Freddie was so queer he could set the house on fire and just blatantly
acted it out in his bizarre prancing about, and if nothing else Brian May had
his own homemade guitar (!) and unique guitar sound/signature. They knew they
were a bunch of goofs and went with it and made tons o'money being a very
creative bunch of goofs.

Jon writes:
>>And you actually have the temerity to cast aspersions on my musical
>>taste?!?! :) Well, Sting and Phil Collins to you!

1) In comparison to Rush, they certainly are BRILLIANT in every aspect
imaginable/invented/possible to comprehend/beyond comprehension/every
incomprihensible way!

2) Well, I was into them up until I was about 14 - as I said, a *childhood*
favorite. Sold off most of it save the awesome Flash Gordon soundtrack!
"Flash!
Flaaaaash! Saviour Of The Universe!!!!!! Flash! Flaaash!! He'll save every
one of us!!!!!!! Flash!!!" etc, etc. ROCKS! At the same time, I  had the hots
for Siouxie Sioux in the Banshees' "Dear Prudence" video! Imagine, if I'd
turned GOTH - ugh!! (seeing as I had a thing for The Cult in the 80s as well!)

Now, c'mon Jon, you can't have been 1001% super-hip/ultracool ALL your life
eh?? :-)) 'Fess up! Which crap bands do you nostalgically like but are not
willing to admit eh?? *snicker* betcha were into SUPERTRAMP and still put 'em
on when you are feeling real "Dad-ish"!!!

Christian

ObCD: HW/Levitation - Ginger bangs away!