More Best of 1997

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Dec 19 08:29:16 EST 1997

In article <3.0.2.32.19971218174738.02f97cec at online.no>,
cannibal at CUTEY.COM writes
>No, it is what you mean by NME/MM type bands...?? There certainly IS an
>"underground" and it most certainly is alive and kicking,

Well, of course I was generalising to a great extent and I did say
"maybe" not "there isn't" but....Where are the punks, where is the
rebellion?

>it's just another layer between the two.

yes and its getting broader and broader, till it's both the underground
and the mainstream.

>> No one rejects that machine anymore, they all
>>want their 15 minutes.
>
>NO ONE? NOT A SINGLE BAND!??

Very damn few. Man, when I was gigging, the NME was just as much
establishment as the Charts. The charts were Duran Duran, Wham and
Culture Club. The NME was Cowpunk. Kerrrist - do you remember The
Boothill Foottappers? The Men They Couldn't Hang? The ___only___ NME
approved band that were any good at all was Pogue Mahone, later The
Pogues. Meanwhile back in reality there was a hundred bands like the
Ozrics, Webcore, us, Astralasia (still The Magic Mushroom Band) etc.
etc. the point is there were 100's and none of them even got so much as
a review by the NME, nor did they seek one. We couldn't have cared less.
These days bands like that court the press like any other. Even the
Ozrics. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing. Quite the reverse in
fact because now we've got a lot of decent music on the radio and in the
charts.

>When all those bands broke big, 90% of them *revealed themselves* as phoneys
>and "pop stars" with no balls (Nirvana were an interesting exception of
>course...), and it kinda grossed me out.

This is true.
> It grossed me out seeing kids "goin'
>grunge" overnight -

"I was a punk before you were a punk" Hey, it happens overnight. I cut
and dyed my hair punk in '77, that was overnight.

> reaching a very different "present day" than what I see in NME or
>on MTV :).

Fair enough. I could well be talking utter shite here. In fact, I hope I
am.
>And I thought the NME were sorta mainstream... ok, "alternative" whatever
>that means, but not "underground" IMO. Your point is good, but it only makes
>100% sense if NME/MM were the ONLY source/outlet for UG culture - which they
>certainly are not!!!

1985 - NME mainstream and irrelevant.
1989 - NME gets a clue. Becomes alternative - not underground. (Hawkwind
       are getting good reveiews around this time)
1992 - Alternative becomes mainstream, (for instance, Glastonbury
attendances more like 500,000) True underground dwindles considerably.
(No 'henge, Man!)  Everyone is now officially groovy.

I should point out, I'm really talking about the UK, pretty much here.

It is worth pointing out that the NME (and others) voted Spritualized as
Album of the Year. Surprising for an album which is not immediatly
accessable, was presented in the same packageing as methadone from some
clinic, largely equates love with heroin addiction, and approves of
both.

>Without HUSKER DU or SONIC YOUTH, no Dinosaur jr.

No arguement there.

>Hmm, Grant drop by recently?

Ain't heard of him since he split with his girlfriend. It's her I know.

>In 50 years time, you will be listening to the future of Dadrock.... and
>Hawkwind! (what sets one apart, as always, from the others!!!!)

I probably will. And you will be listening to "Clint Ruin - 20 Golden
Greats" :)

>>Julian Cope. Agreeably nice *and* socially confrontational! Peggy
>>Suicide is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.
>
>I think it's overrated!

By who, ferchrisssakes? The guys' only just got more fans than HW.
And it's not, it's a goddam classic!

>thasswottaimeant... now go peddle his smut!

Right you are, skipper, anyone want to buy R. Crumb's new comic Mystic
Funnies?

--
Jon