HW: Bedouin album - Ginger

Stephen Swann swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Fri Dec 19 10:21:14 EST 1997

Douglas Pearson writes:

> Steve Swann spake thusly:
> >Not that I'm putting down Live 79, or whoever was
> >the drummer on it, I quite like the album.  But that one song
> >sounded like shite just because of the uninspired drumming; and
> >Ginger Baker turned it into a positively wonderful tune just
> >by fixing that awful static beat.
>
> Funny, my opinion is diametrically opposed - I think that "Motorway City"
> is the only song on _Live 79_ that's superior to the studio version (well,
> I haven't heard the Blake/Swindells solo versions of "Lighthouse" and "Shot
> Down...", but I really dislike the version of "Spirit of the Age").  I
> think that the jazzy, rolling beats on _Levitation_ aren't really very
> appropriate for Hawkwind, even though I do really like the album.  But I
> love Simon King's straight-ahead 2/2 driving beat, although admittedly he
> does it far better of, say _Space Ritual_ than _Live 79_.
>
> Just my opinion ...

Which just goes to show that however many Hawkwind fans you put in a
room, that's how many different opinions you'll get.  Spirit of the
Age on _Live 79_ is my favorite version of the song, and my
favorite song on the album.  ;-)

Steve