HW: Drummers list

Stephen Swann swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU
Fri Dec 19 10:45:19 EST 1997

Andrew A. Apold writes:

> 7.  Danny Thompson  - Chronicles & LC used to be my favorite HW albums until
>         someone mentioned not liking the drumming, when I listened to it next
>         I paid attention to it and this almost has ruined the album for me.
>         I still like it for other reasons, but there are times when it almost
>         seems Huw is having to cover for DT just to give the song some more
>         rhythym.  And Elric the Enchanter (part 1, from the studio version),
>         once one of my favorite songs, gets me cringing, I have to force myself
>         not to pay attention to the drums...  also Needle Gun, that's another.
>         which is why I'm waiting with baited breath to hear it done by a
>         real drummer, Albert....

Oddly enough, although I abuse DT a lot, his drumming seems decent
enough to me on _LC_.  Maybe it's because he's pushed way down in the
mix, unlike on Xenon Codex where that whoppingly loud THWAK THWAK
THWAK is mixed up-front and center...argh.  Or maybe it's because he
"covers" other drummers' material perfectly well, but just can't come
up with his own?

DT's drumming was the *first* thing I noticed when I bought XC and
started playing _The War I Survived_.  I eventually got somewhat over
my distaste for the drumming... on the Hawkwind poll, I even picked
"Lost Chronicles" as their best instrumental piece.  But at times I
still have to consciously disregard the drum work on that album in
order to enjoy listening to it.

Steve