HW: Heard on Space Ritual

Horse Whisperer beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 22 19:06:56 EST 1997

>>Maybe some of this is in the mix on purpose?
>>Led Zeppelin did this with the vocals on
>>"Whole Lotta Love" where Robert Plant sings
>>"Woman... you need" etc.  It was just a recording
>>trick that they thought sounded cool.  They were
>>the first to do it as far as I know.
>>
>>Brian
>>
>>OBcd> Led Zeppelin II

Okay, check this out.  Get a copy of the Beatles White Album, and listen
to _Yer Blues_. I believe you will find the same thing here.

It might be a litle like what was suggested earlier (rewind/unerase) ie
the unsophisticated, but surprisingly effective, 4-tracks used to record
the works just failed to wipe a guide vocal properly.  But I think
(through my own recording experience) that the guide vocal was recorded
live, and some other microphone picked up the sound, but it could not be
taken out of the mix fully, because another instrument, or vital sonic
portion was included therein.  Listen to any ealy ZZTop recording and
you'll hear Billy Gibbons grunting away over his own solo's, because his
vocal mike for the guide tracks and his amp were in the same booth.
This also points out that you don't have to play loud to get a seriously
good tone.  But anyone who's been in a studio with a shit-hot engineer
will know this.

Mind you, this explains Led Zep, the Beatles and ZZ Top, but not
Hawkwind.  Has anyone thought that maybe the vocals on Space Ritual
(because it was such an important, strategic release) might have been
retouched in places, after the fact.

I am joking, but it's worth a thought.

Chris.