BOC: No Big Deal, Kerrang

Tue Dec 23 12:37:00 EST 1997

> From:          "BREVARD, Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>
> Theo>As soon as I saw BOC was on Summerdaze, I suspected this would
> happen.  This is the perfect label for BOC at this point.  They
> supply reasonable support for their bands, and give them plenty of
> leeway for creativity.  Should be a good match.
>
> well you know more about labels than me but I think Metal Blade would be
> better than CMC.  No real differences except for the MB name and logo.
> Bring back the heavy rocking version of BOC on that label and well...who
> knows.  Certainly MB has a group of hard ass bands that appeal to a
> generation of kids who may never had heard them.  Those kids may give
> them a flyer just because they are on MB and expect to hear some heavy

I was thinking CMC over MB because MB is considered a label for
'younger' bands, though if you look at any of the holdover metalhead
groups, and their members are all well into their 30s!  It's hard to
say if a younger audience is within BOC's grasp.  There are plenty of
youngsters here on BOC-L and they're all knowledgeable music fans.
Don't know if they're a blip on the screen or if young whelps as a
group would go for BOC.  I do know that there were lots of kids
howling at the skies for BOC at this summer's outdoor gig, so maybe
it would work out for 'em?

> grooves.  CMC is good quality but they have a wide horizon.  They did
> Earth Wind and Fire's latest album, took them (EWF) about three years to
> get it in the stores.  Can you imagine a CMC display in Best Buy with
> BOC latest sitting right next to EWF?

ROTFL!  I'd be happy to see a BOC display ANYWHERE!  CMC does have a
lot of variety.  Dokken, Warrant, Saigon Kick [or whatever their name
is now] Lynyrd Skynyrd[!].  I hadn't heard of EWF...that's a kick.
But I think they're heart's in the right place [CMC, that is].  You
know that all us wheezers are likely to have a soft spot for a label
that'll take a chance on dino bands, and help them keep making
records.  Given the talent level, both in terms of playing and
songwriting ability, it's amazing BOC haven't caught on somewhere.
Just fell through the cracks I guess.  And given the state of their
[mis] management, we're lucky they haven't disappeared from sight
altogether...

Hey, anyone care to speculate what the BOC stand-up AB has suggested
would look like?

theo

"I told you not to be stupid..."
--Ben S.