BOC and CMC

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Tue Dec 30 08:45:31 EST 1997

Saigon Kick is still Siagon Kick but is about to be called Flat under
> their new record deal.

Theo>So I take it jason just fired everyone, hired a new band, and
likely
had to re-name the group to avoid legal shit?  Like Skynyrd 1991?
BTW, the new Van Halen disc is called Van Halen III.  Wonder if they
had to rename the band due to legal rancor?

Don't think so.  Drummer left on a side project which turned out to be
Prunella Scales.  Think they went over bigger than they imagined and he
may stay with the project.  Matt, lead singer from the first two albums
came back for a while.  Only problem was the gigs had setlists based on
the first two albums.  Rather limiting.  Second two albums (IMHO) had
better more versatile material.  Probably some legal shit behind the
name change but it might just be re-invention.

> Theo> I hadn't heard of EWF...that's a kick.
>
> Haven't heard that EWF's latest album was released on CMC or have never
> heard of Earth Wind and Fire?  Damn good group in their day.  'Course

T-man>I saw 'em live way back when.  Back when they'd mix up all
different
style bands on one show...

They can still play pretty good.  One of those bands where I new every
song.  Couple of summers ago they did a two hour gig at Wolftrap.  They
could have played for another hour and still not hit everyones fave
song.  New album isn't great though.

> Theo> Given the talent level, both in terms of playing and
> songwriting ability, it's amazing BOC haven't caught on somewhere.
> Just fell through the cracks I guess.
>
> Agree on all points above, except they also have to have the desire to
> do this.  Look at the Rollling Stones.

T-man>That's very interesting, and typical of the Stones.  For a band
who've made so much money, their records don't sell all that well.

Never a Stone fan myself.  Boggles me the way people lay out premium
bucks to attend one of thier overhyped gigs.

> will pay to see you but can care less about the product your putting
> out.  BOC is pretty much the same.  They were always a kick ass live
> outfit and we continue to see them any chance we get.

Theo>Thing is, the Stones suck live as well as on record, but it doesn't
seem to matter!

HOWLS do we agree here.  Heard a radio broadcast of one of their gigs
and almost puked.  BOC could outplay these guys while sleeping.

> Theo>Hey, anyone care to speculate what the BOC stand-up AB has
> suggested
> would look like?
>
> Not sure what your talking about here.  I for one would love to have a
> contest to name the new album.  I can't really think of anything now
> except perhaps BOC II.

T-man>You know, that lifesize cardboard cutout in the stores?  EB
astride
his hawg?  BD in his spacesuit?  Allen...just being Allen!

You think BOC will rate a display like this?  Man if so you provided a
good start.  Put Danny next to Buck, bass slung over his shoulder with
biceps bulging.  Does Danny have guns like Joe?  Don't think so.

L8er
lil ab'

OBCD for froogin' - Devil In The Details, Saigon Kick