BRAIN: Malpractise, X Bros

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Tue Dec 30 14:17:56 EST 1997

John S. said:

>Will second Andy's comments on *Malpractise*.  "Needle Gun" is
excellent,
>although I can't compare it to Hawkwind since I haven't heard their
>version.  "Hassan..." sounds pretty cool too - do my ears detect more
>dropped tuning?

Needle Gun is more complex than
the original, and much better in my
opinion.  For me, Hassan is about
on a par with the HW version.  The
feel of each is different- HW's is more
"slithery" with the excellent violin work
of Simon House, while TBS version has
an addictive, heavy groove that the HW
version is lacking.  Brock (Calvert?)
benefits from knowing exactly what he's
singing, but Al and Deborah do a great
job of faking it :-)

>"Ciudades" really smokes, "Death Valley Nights" is
>great (although I like the piano and bassline from the BOC version -
still,
>Al's vocals and the guitarwork is great on this version, and Deb shows
>that she too "Plays the Drums").

This is a real jem when they bring it out
for their live show.  I like how TBS changed
the "Kiss from you, babe" harmony.  I miss
the piano and bass too, though.

[snip stuff about the rest of the songs]

>Al kind of hinted that the other 2 songs from the *Pull The Plug* tape
>(Lady of the Harbor and Frenchette) probably won't make it to a future
>CD (although LotH might in a different form) -- this is too bad.  I'd
>really like to have those on CD as well - and, while I'm requesting
songs
>for *Malpractise-Volume 2*, don't forget the Watt cover of "Dominance
>and Submission" (which about half the credits go to Joe and Albert on
that
>recording anyway - what with Albert's guitar, drums, and vocals, and
Joe's
>keyboards), and maybe some other rarities -- we NEED Pete Bohovesky's
>"Christmas Song" (I have the tape if you need it) on CD (was hoping a
version
>would've hit his solo album), and how 'bout some other old classics
that
>BOC rejected - wasn't their one called "She Fell in Love With Ritchie
>Blackmore's Dildo"?

Or "Cities On Flame With Disco".  I found D&S
on sale for $5 at an import sale at Record Town.
I never thought I'd ever get to hear it.  If you can
find it, get it.  The other two songs on the single:
Piss Bottle Man, and Big Train, aren't bad either.

Brian